Thursday, March 1, 2012

Swing for the Fences

I admire Christ for so many things. One of them is that He challenges men and women to strive for a prize they would never have attempted apart from Him. We swing for the fences because Jesus is so worthy. 

He shows us the truth about our selves, enough to make us despair. But when we give up on ourselves, He shows us Himself. He accepts us and then He transforms us. The Lord makes us want to be better than we ever would have been without Him.

We know that our performance won’t disqualify us, that if we blow it and fail, Jesus will still love us. It’s His performance that puts us right with God, not ours.

Sometimes I catch a glimpse of my better self, and I can see His fingerprints on my life.

I don’t know what kind of man I would have been if I had never met Him. But I am absolutely certain I would not have been someone I could have been proud of. Very occasionally now I am, and it is always to His glory alone.

I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:14.