Thursday, March 22, 2012

Tim Tebow: Who's Number One?


As a Denver Bronco fan, this has been quite a week. The arrival of Peyton Manning and the departure of Tim Tebow for the New York Jets has given me plenty of heartburn.

Manning is one of the all-time greats to play the game. Any Bronco fan could be enthusiastic about seeing this Pro Bowl quarterback running Denver’s offense. On the other hand, Tim Tebow is one of the most exciting athletes I’ve ever watched, and he led a dud team into the playoffs last year. His outspoken Christian faith makes me want to see him succeed even more.

But it’s just sports, right? In the end, it doesn’t really matter. (This is what I tell myself while I’m yelling at the T.V. during football season.)

It’s Tebow’s faith, his witness, that means more to me. And one of the curious things the media has done is label him “polarizing.” For example, let me quote three stories that popped up when I was googling his trade to the Jets:
The polarizing quarterback was traded from the DenverBroncos to the Jets for a fourth- and sixth-round pick in this year's upcoming NFL draft.
Or here’s a headline from bleacherreport.com: Tim Tebow to Jets: Denver Broncos Part Ways with and Trade Polarizing QB


So let me get this straight: you have professional athletes who are indicted for rape and selling drugs, who go to prison for dog fighting, who are publicly intoxicated, use foul language, father multiple children out of wedlock, and then you have one squeaky-clean kid who is outspoken about loving Jesus, and he is polarizing? (Excuse me for raising my voice again.)

Well, on the other hand, it’s true. Jesus is polarizing. You can’t be lukewarm about Him. He insists on being number one. He’s not a genie in a bottle or a security blanket. He demands and deserves to be number one. Like Paul said, …that in everything he might be preeminent (Colossians 1:18).

Jesus said it about Himself:
"Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.  For from now on in one house there will be five divided, three against two and two against three.  They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law." Luke 12:51-23, ESV
 The issue for everyone is not who’s playing quarterback, but who is Lord of your life.