Monday, March 12, 2012

The Power of One Word

Words can be powerful, no doubt about it. But it all depends on who’s saying them.

You probably know people who never stop talking. The more words they say, the less any of them seem to mean.


One time I was on the phone with a lady who called wanting my help. At least that’s what she said. But the words just kept coming, and there was never a place for me to insert a question or a response, let alone any counsel. I actually put down the phone and went into the other room to get a glass of water. When I came back she was still going.

But when somebody really has something to say, you listen.

I was reading Matthew’s account of two demonized men. My Bible has the words of Jesus in red, and in the whole paragraph there was only one red word. Jesus told the demons, Go (Matthew 8:32).

So much happened because Jesus said, “Go.”
  • He catalyzed the roiling unrest of the demons;
  • He freed the demoniacs;
  • The herd of swine was hurled into the sea;
  • The herdsmen fled and told the tale;
  • Everyone in the city begged the Lord to leave them alone.
All set in motion by the power of one word. Just like when He said, "Lazarus, come out." Or, "Let there be light."

We should always pay attention when Jesus speaks.