Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Talk to Yourself


“Have you realized,” preacher David Martyn Lloyd-Jones once observed, "That most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself?” (The quote is from C. J. Mahaney's The Cross Centered Life, p. 45).

What Dr. Lloyd-Jones means is that we end up listening to our feelings about our circumstances, instead of talking to ourselves about the truth of who God is and what Jesus accomplished for us on the cross. A lot of people call this, "Preaching the gospel to yourself."

For years I journaled every day. I filled up multiple spiral notebooks. But one day I realized most of my reflections were about how I felt. Often how I felt was lousy. I learned about me, me, me, but I didn’t get any closer to Jesus.

Admiring Christ is an attempt to look outward, instead—at Jesus. Admiring Christ means seeing Him in the Scriptures, meditating on His character and finished work, and reminding myself  of what's really true, especially when I feel otherwise. I need to stop listening to myself, and start talking to myself--about Him!

John Piper has a great reflection (below) from the Psalms on “talking to yourself.”

PROGRAM NOTE: If you're signed up to receive posts by email, the spacing between words is scrunched and video doesn't show up. Sorry. You can access the Piper video at the blog site.