Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Antidote for Fear

Some people, I guess, must not be afraid. But I am. I have many fears. Some of them make sense, and a lot of them don’t. But all fears cut away at our insides, and make us more miserable than if they all came true.

The only way I’ve ever been able to deal with any of my fears is to trust that Jesus is on my side, that He is in control, and that He will take care of me. (All these things about Him turn out to be true, thank God.)

Remember Jairus, the desperate father we met in Mark 5? His little girl was dying, and he persuaded Jesus to come and help her. And Jesus dropped everything and came with him.

But on the way, Jairus’ greatest fear came true. Messengers arrived with the news that his daughter was already dead. It was too late. No need to trouble the Teacher any further.

Jesus overheard what they were telling the poor man, and He said, Do not fear; only believe (Mark 5:36b). And He kept right on walking toward the man’s house.

Jairus’ fear was well-founded. He had every reason to expect that the report of his daughter’s death was accurate. But he trusted that Jesus was on his side, that He was in control, and that He would get him through somehow.

When Jesus is present, no fear can win in the end. Not even death.

Was it somehow easier for Jairus to trust Christ than it is for you and me to trust Him? After all, he actually saw, touched, heard the Lord, and we don’t.

Actually I think we may have the advantage over Jairus. We have God’s precious word, including this record of our Lord’s power and love. And we have the Holy Spirit who will help us trust.

I want to shut out fear with faith in my wonderful Jesus. But honestly, even that is beyond me. I must trust Him for greater trust. Like another desperate father whose boy was demonized (Mark 9:24), I say, “Lord, help my unbelief.” And He does.