Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Was Mom Proud?


My mom had her heart set on my having a dual career as an attorney and an accountant. She had endured the privations of the Great Depression, and it forever changed the way she looked at life. She wanted to make sure that I had a job that guaranteed financial security.

You can imagine how hard it was for her when I came home from college and began talking about going into the ministry. Mom was so determined to thwart this foolishness that she telephoned one of the professors at the seminary I planned to attend. She made an appointment to see him, flew from Western Colorado to Denver, and confronted him on the foolhardiness of her son's becoming a pastor.

A gracious man, the professor admitted that most people in ministry don’t find financial success to be their main career benefit. In time Mom resigned herself to my calling. But it was never a comfortable fit for her.

It’s tough when your family doesn't really believe in you. Most of us want to hear, “I’m proud of you,” from our parents, but many of us never do.

I admire Jesus’ perseverance in the hard road He had to walk, even when His family thought He was crazy. Early on, when the crowds began to gather around Him, here’s how His mother and brothers reacted:  And when his family heard it, they went out to seize him, for they were saying, “He is out of his mind” (Mark 3:21).

You can say it didn’t bother Jesus. He was God, after all. But in His true humanity, I have no doubt it was another heartache. Even a perfect Son wants His family’s approval.

And of course the infinitely greater rejection was coming, that moment when His Heavenly Father turned away from Him.

How grateful we are to a Savior who endured all this, the loneliness, rejection, and misunderstanding, to complete a mission for sinners like you and me.