Friday, January 27, 2012

Prayer Retreats 101


First night of my retreat
This week I went away for my annual January prayer retreat. For two days I spent time in prayer, reading, and reflection.

I’ve been taking prayer retreats two or three times a year for the last 20 years or so. Why? The short answer (and I’m not trying to be cute) is that I admire Christ. Actually I can’t imagine not taking prayer retreats. Being alone with Him for extended periods helps me know Him better. It also keeps me sane and (I think) makes me a better Christian.

But I’m writing this because I want to convince you to take prayer retreats. Let me try some Q & A.

What is a prayer retreat?

My friend Paul Becker, President of Dynamic Church Planting International, has a great definition: A time you set aside to go away to be with God.
  •  “A time you set aside” means you have to plan for a prayer retreat or it won’t happen.
  • “to go away.” Okay, you could stay home and set aside time for a prayer retreat. To me, though, it’s a little like a “stay-cation.” You can do vacation from home if you have to, but it’s definitely plan B.
  • “to be with God.” That’s the main purpose. Without a prayer retreat, how much actual time do you spend with the Lord each day, just you and Him? Maybe an hour a day? A lot less?

So what kind of time are we talking about for a prayer retreat?

I’ve had helpful prayer retreats that were only a few hours in length. But for me, getting away for at least an overnight is best. A couple nights is even better.

But why take a prayer retreat?
  • To spend time with Jesus, just you and Him.
  • To refresh your soul and clear your head,
  • To intercede for specific people. My January retreat is mainly for my family.
  • To seek God’s will on specific issues and questions.
 Next time I’ll try to ask, What do you do on a prayer retreat? And where do you go?

One last thing for now: Jesus took prayer retreats. great crowds gathered to hear him and to be healed of their infirmities. But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray (Luke 5:15, 16, ESV).