Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Faithful Bridegroom

I admire, and depend upon, Christ’s faithfulness.

A while back I had lunch with a missionary friend of mine. We talked about people we’ve known who have wrecked their marriages by unfaithfulness.

Like the Christian leader who betrayed his wife and broke his marriage vows. Not once but with a couple different women. He and his wife went through some deep waters. They got counseling and stayed together. But his unfaithfulness took a terrible toll on their marriage.

I’ll never forget a comment his wife made: “I love him, but I don’t trust him.” I’m glad they stayed together, but I feel sad that the wife’s respect for her husband was so compromised.

Jesus is faithful to His bride (cf. Eph. 5:25-27). He keeps His word and He keeps His people. He is faithful.

I am so grateful for His faithfulness to my family. My wife and I will celebrate 40 years together this year, to His glory. Though our earthly possessions are modest and our “investments” meager by American standards, our Savior has cared for us and provided for us in abundance. I wouldn’t trade with anybody.

Christ has saved our two sons, given them wonderful, godly wives, and blessed them with sweet little children. And I know the Faithful One to whom we belong will continue to care and provide for us all at every turn.