Thursday, January 10, 2013

You Have to Read the Last Chapter

I grew up reading James A. Michener’s sprawling, historical novels - like The Source, Hawaii, and Chesapeake. I became so engrossed in the novel Centennial that I kept it in the car while I was driving. At every stop light I would read a few sentences until the light changed.

I was deep into the characters of Levi Zendt and his bride Elly, young newlyweds from Pennsylvania, making their way west by covered wagon. Although their story takes place in the early 1800’s, somehow I identified with them and wanted to see them do well. My heart went out to the young couple, with all their hopes and dreams, as they faced adversity together.

So while driving around town, I stopped at a red light and opened the book again. Levi and Elly had reached the Rocky Mountains, and had just discovered they were going to have a baby. Then, in the space of about two sentences, a rattlesnake struck Elly in the throat and she died.

Noooooooo! You can't do that! I yelled. I hurled the book into the backseat just as the light turned green. I can't believe it! Why would anyone write a story this way!

It probably sounds a little nuts, but I was angry at James A. Michener. Why would he bring so much suffering into the lives of characters I had come to love? I vowed never to pick up the book again.

But of course I did. And by the time Michener had finished telling the story of Levi Zendt, it all made sense. Sure, the suffering still hurt. But the pain became part of a chronicle of wisdom and love and beauty.

Most of us question the Author of our salvation, and wonder how He could write our story as He does. Suffering is as much God's plan for us as blessing. Apparently the Father accomplishes His purposes only through pain. So committed is He to our eternal good that He was willing to nail His own Son to a cross.

Instead of an explanation, the Lord gave us His promise: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28, NIV). What we don't know is the purpose of specific suffering or trials. But what we do know is in the eternal story God is writing, He works all of them together for His glory and our good.

We can get mad at the Author, but it's still His book. And in the end, to know our Christ is to know that our story will turn out just right. But you have to read the last chapter.
 
Many years ago Samuel Rutherford wrote to a woman in his church who must have been struggling with suffering. Here's what he told her:

Madam, when you are come to the other side of the water, and have set down your foot on the shore of glorious eternity, and look back again to the waters and to your wearisome journey, and shall see in that clear glass of endless glory nearer to the bottom of God's wisdom, you shall then be forced to say, 'If God had done otherwise with me than he hath done, I had never come to the enjoying of this crown of glory.' Letters of Samuel Rutherford, The Banner of Truth Trust, p. 18. (Click here for a copy.)