Sunday, January 13, 2013

Beloved Son

The love of a father for his son is a special thing. I have two sons, and I have a special love for each of them.

I delight in my sons. I admire them and enjoy them and think of them always. I pray for them and would do anything in my power to encourage and help them.

Those who love my sons are loved by me. If someone were to treat one of my sons poorly, I would take it personally.

One of the keys to understanding our Lord Jesus is His Father's love for Him. The Father delights in Christ. He admires Him and enjoys Him and would do anything to glorify Him.

Just consider. First the voice of the Father Himself:
“and behold, a voice from heaven said, ‘This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.’” (Matthew 3:17; compare Mark 1:11; Luke 3:22)
He was still speaking when, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them, and a voice from the cloud said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to him.” (Matthew 17:5; cf. Mark 9:7)
 Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations.” (Isaiah 42:1)
 Jesus was always conscious of His Father's love and spoke of it often.

For the Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing. And greater works than these will he show him, so that you may marvel.” (John 5:20)
For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again.” (John 10:17
As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love.” (John 15:9,10)
 “...so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world...I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.” (John 17:23-24,26)
Two thoughts come to me when I look at Christ through the lens of His Father's love for Him.

First, what must it have cost them both for Jesus to die on the cross? Knowing the Father's boundless love for Christ, still Isaiah recorded this: But the LORD was pleased to crush Him, putting Him to grief... (Isaiah 53:10a, NASB). Huh? It pleased the Father? And hear the pain in our Savior’s voice when the Father turned away from Him. “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mark 15:34b, ESV)

Second, how grieved the Father must be with those who blaspheme or denigrate His Son. How the Father must store up wrath for those who ignore Christ's death or proclaim some other way of salvation. And how pleased and warm must be the Father's heart toward those who love and admire, worship and obey, His only begotten Son.

The truth that resounds throughout heaven, that one day will thunder in earth's final judgment and will be sung in joyous praise by all the redeemed is this: The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand.” (John 3:35)