Sunday, July 1, 2012

Who Will Be Waiting for You in Heaven?


We live in a Navy town, and our church has lots of Navy families. Periodically, for months at a time, our active duty sailors ship out for deployment all over the world. It’s quite a reunion when their ships come back. It's a wonderful kind of chaos as families and friends crowd the dock, craning their necks to catch a first glimpse of their sailor come home.

That scene makes me think of heaven—arriving safely home to the arms of those who love you.

Usually we ask, “Who will you be looking forward to seeing again, when you get to heaven?” But I want to ask a different question: Who will be waiting there for you? Who will most be looking forward to seeing you?

The true answer, I believe, is Jesus. As unbelievable as it might sound, I have come to believe that our Lord Jesus Christ is waiting for us in heaven with great expectation and longing.

I often think about how we Christians long for Christ. But I don’t usually think about how Christ longs for us, His people.

But consider how He told His disciples about heaven. First He said He was going to prepare a place for us (John 14:1-2). Then this: And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also (John 14:3).

I can’t get over how He said that: “I will come again” –  let me emphasize these next few words – “and take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.” Don’t those words “take you to myself” sound wonderful? These are the words of someone who loves deeply. I never really thought that the Savior might so love and so desire and so long for us that He would be counting the days (years, millennia) till we will be together. But now I think He does and is. He wants to take us “to Himself,” to the place He has specially prepared for us.

Like a Bridegroom counting the days till His wedding, till He will be united forever with His bride, the Savior is longing for His dear ones. Yes, you and me.

Consider His great prayer in the Upper Room. Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. John 17:24.

He wants us with Him!

I became a Christian many years ago, and I’ve always imagined what it would be like to go to heaven one day. I figured there’d be a huge crowd, kind of like the family and friends who welcome a Navy ship back from deployment. People craning their necks, looking for their loved ones. I always hoped I would get to see Jesus and worship Him. But honestly—I never imagined He’d be there, craning His neck, looking for me.

Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. Psalm 73:25