Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Can I Get a Witness?


“Can I get a WITNESS?” That’s what the preacher yells when he wants to emphasize a point.  You're supposed to “testify” to the truthfulness of his message—say “Amen!” “Preach it!” or “That’s right!”  also works.

But being a witness is a bit more than agreeing with the preacher. A witness is somebody who tells the truth about what they know, first-hand. 

Christians are called to be witnesses to their Savior. Jesus said His disciples would be His witnesses all the way to the “uttermost” parts of the world (Acts 1:8).

The Greek word for “witness” is martus. It sounds like “martyr,” somebody who will stand up for the truth even at the cost of his life.

Have you ever needed somebody to back you up, verify your story, clear your name? What if you were on trial for your life, and the testimony of a witness could exonerate you? Can I get a witness? Please?

We know Christians are supposed to be witnesses for Christ. But did you know Jesus is a witness? Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood (Revelation 1:5).

So how is Jesus a witness?

  • He is a witness to the world’s sin. The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify about it that its works are evil. John 7:7
  • He is a witness to eternity. Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. John 8:14.
  • He is a witness to Himself.  I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me. John 8:18

Christ is the faithful witness – martyr – to the truth. And in martyrdom, He brings an exonerating witness for His own. In a trial for your eternal life, His testimony means everything.