Sunday, July 15, 2012

Famous Last Words


President Franklin Roosevelt’s last words were "I have a terrific headache.”

Joe DiMaggio said, “I'll finally get to see Marilyn.” (Hint: his former wife, Marilyn Monroe.)

Dominic Willard, a Prohibition mobster facing a firing squad, was asked if he had a last request. “Why yes, a bulletproof vest.”

And many of us remember, from 9-11, the courage of Todd Beamer as he and others prepared to storm the cockpit of United Flight 93: “Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.”

I love what John Newton (English preacher and writer of “Amazing Grace”) said on his deathbed: “I am in the land of the dying, and I am soon going to the land of the living.”

So now, without looking, what are the last words in the Bible? 

 Ready?
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.  (Revelation 22:21, ESV).

Isn’t it wonderful that the final words of holy Scripture are about the grace of our Lord! I’ve been studying the Bible for many years, and there are plenty of things I don’t understand. But what is wonderfully clear is that all of time and history, all God’s plans, everything we are or ever will be, comes down to this - the grace of Jesus.