Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What They Didn't Tell Me in Seminary


When I went to seminary, I learned that the Bible must be understood in its original context. So part of your task as a learner (and as a teacher) is to discover what a particular book or passage meant for the audience to whom it was originally written.

Makes sense, right?

Another thing I learned about studying and teaching the Bible is that you need to know the kind of literature it is. Is it poetry, or history, or prophecy? That will make a difference in understanding its meaning.

Also a good idea.

One more thing I learned about interpreting the Bible. You should look for transferable principles that apply to people of all times and cultures. Not everybody is going to be chained to a Roman guard, like Paul was, but we can all learn a lesson about being content in our circumstances because we trust in God.

Okay. So I appreciate all the tools I was given in seminary. They've been really helpful as I've studied and taught the Scriptures for many years.

But here’s what I was never told in seminary. The whole Bible, all of it, is about Jesus Christ. Really.

That’s what Jesus said. "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me..." (John 5:39).

 Remember after the Resurrection, on the Road to Emmaus? And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself (Luke 24:27). Or later when He appeared to His disciples: Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures…(Luke 24:44,45--my emphasis).

We should be mindful of culture and context, and looking for principles is a good idea. But let’s always ask, “What does this teach me about Jesus?” May He "open our minds to understand the Scriptures," as He did for His first disciples. Because the Bible isn't meant just to give us some good advice. It's meant to reveal the Savior, and to point us again and again to Him.