Thursday, June 28, 2012

Don't Be Afraid

So what are you afraid of? And why are you afraid?

The first question has many answers. Heights, public speaking, cockroaches, cancer, the list is virtually endless. Everybody is afraid of something. Probably lots of somethings. Mostly we go through life coping with our fears, learning ways to live with them. But everyone is afraid of something.

The second question doesn’t have so many answers. Why are we afraid?

For me, I think I’m afraid of the unknown, and ultimately I’m afraid of the unknown because I’m afraid of not being in control.

Maybe all of our fears are like that. A person who fears heights is overtaken with the dread of falling—losing control of their balance and within seconds, their life. A fear of public speaking puts you in a spot where you are the center of attention, but not in a good way. Death, and all the ways we might die, is the ultimate loss of control.

Throughout the Bible God consistently says, “Fear not.” (I put a short list of some of those at the end...) I was thinking of Jesus, after the great catch of fish I wrote about last time (Luke 5:1-11), telling Peter, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men” (v. 10).

His "do not be afraid" followed a frustrating night by professional fishermen when they couldn't catch a thing; Jesus' effortless provision of a supernaturally humongous, net-straining catch of fish; and Peter's sudden awareness of his own sin:"Depart from me, for I am a sinful man" (v. 9).

That's when Jesus said, "Do not be afraid." (Literally, Stop being afraid.)

Know what I noticed? Our Savior's word carried with it the strong evidence that: 1) He has all power; and 2) He has good plans for us. So "fear not" is another way of saying, "It might seem like unknown territory to you, but I've got you, and I'm going to work everything out for My glory and your good."

After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision: "Fear not, Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be very great."  (Gen 15:1)

You shall not fear them, for it is the LORD your God who fights for you.'  (Deu 3:22)

Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you."  (Deu 31:6)

It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."  (Deu 31:8)
 
Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.  (Psa 27:3)

Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,  (Psa 46:2)

You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day,  (Psa 91:5)

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear. What can man do to me?  (Psa 118:6)

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.  (Isa 41:10)

For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, "Fear not, I am the one who helps you."  (Isa 41:13)

Fear not, you worm Jacob, you men of Israel! I am the one who helps you, declares the LORD; your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel.  (Isa 41:14)

But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine."  (Isa 43:1)

Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you.  (Isa 43:5)

Thus says the LORD who made you, who formed you from the womb and will help you: Fear not, O Jacob my servant, Jeshurun whom I have chosen.  (Isa 44:2)

Fear not, nor be afraid; have I not told you from of old and declared it? And you are my witnesses! Is there a God besides me? There is no Rock; I know not any."  (Isa 44:8)

Fear not, for you will not be ashamed; be not confounded, for you will not be disgraced; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more.  (Isa 54:4)

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. (Mat 10:28)

Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. (Mat 10:31)

Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows. (Luk 12:7)

Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. (Luk 12:32)

 So we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?"  (Heb 13:6)

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, "Fear not, for I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades." (Rev. 1:17-18)