Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Loveliness of Christ

Sam was the oldest child of a wealthy farmer. He was a good student, and got a master’s degree by the time he was 21. His family was religious without really knowing Christ.

He ended up becoming a teacher, but after only two years, was forced to resign. He was said to have “behaved inappropriately” with a young woman. He married the girl.

This scandal led to Sam’s becoming a Christian, going back to school, and entering the ministry. He spent nine years as the pastor of a country church, and an older colleague said of him, “”He seemed to be always praying, always preaching, always visiting the sick…I thought he would have flown out of the pulpit when he came to speak of Jesus Christ. He was never in his right element but when he was commending him.”

This young man was, like Jesus, a man of sorrows. His wife died after a long and painful illness. Except for one daughter, all the children she and Sam had died at an early age.

His own suffering led him to be a comfort to thousands of others. When the government forced him out of his church, he wrote many letters to his former church members. These letters are remarkable for their wisdom about life, suffering, and especially about the sweetness of communion with Christ.

Sam’s full name is Samuel Rutherford, and he lived in Scotland from 1600 – 1661. (The biographical info I took from Joel Beeke's Meet the Puritans, pp. 721ff).

Here are a few beautiful quotes from some of Samuel Rutherford's letters.
The great Master Gardener, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, in a wonderful providence, with his own hand, planted me here, where by his grace, in this part of his vineyard, I grow; and here I will abide till the great Master of the vineyard think fit to transplant me.

They are not lost to you that are laid up in Christ’s treasury in heaven. At the resurrection ye shall meet with them: there they are, sent before but not sent away. Your Lord loveth you, who is homely to take and give, borrow and lend.

I have little, little of him; yet I long for more.
He taketh the bairns [children] in his arms when they come to a deep water; at least, when they lose ground, and are put to swim, then his hand is under their chin.

Let him make anything out of me, so being he be glorified in my salvation: for I know I am made for him.

My dear brother, I will think it comfort if ye speak my name to our Well-Beloved wherever ye are. I am mindful of you.
Rutherford “admired Christ,” and his writings from so long ago are helping me to admire Him, too. Maybe you’d like to get a copy of the little book I took the above quotes from. It’s called The Loveliness of Christ. (Click here for the link.)