Thursday, January 2, 2014

How to Make Your Own Highlight Reel

Because our son works for the local cable company, we get a great channel for NFL football called Redzone. It covers all the broadcast games on a given Sunday, flipping back and forth from one to the other and sometimes doing split screens when scoring is about to happen in more than one game. Plus there are no commercials.

And best of all, at the end of the Sunday games, Redzone presents a montage of all the touchdowns that happened on that day!

So this post is about doing a kind of "redzone" compilation of a year's highlights. For a long time I’ve been doing a “best of the year” in the last week of December/first week of January. It’s my equivalent of a highlight film, although I call it “highlights and lowlights.”

It helps me to remember the important events, transitions, changes, opened and closed doors, milestones and victories, trials and disappointments for the year past. That in turn reminds me of my Heavenly Father’s wisdom and kindness, provision and protection, and gives me more reasons to praise Him.

I want to encourage you to do it, too, before we get too far into the new year. It will take you a couple hours, but it’s worth it. If you have a daily planner of some kind, that makes it easier, but even if you don't, sit down with whatever calendar you use. Just think about each month, look over any hand-written or electronic notes, and then jot down what's memorable.

I end up with a few notations for each month. By the time I’m done, I begin to see themes and patterns, what went right, victories, disappointments, challenges, unexpected changes. From those notes I make a list of 10 - 12 of the most impressive, noteworthy, surprising, praiseworthy, shocking, dominant events and circumstances for the year. My last step is to pray and give thanks over each item on my list.

I admit this is more than a highlight reel, because I include not just the "touchdowns," but also the fumbles, interceptions, overtime losses - you name it. But I’ve noticed that, with a little hindsight, they all serve to highlight the faithfulness, wisdom, kindness, and protection of God.

For example, this past year there were many outright blessings. Our church has stepped forward to start planting a daughter church though we are a smaller congregation with modest resources. Our sixth grandchild was born. The church gave us a surprise week-long trip to see our dear friends Bob and Nancy in Dallas.

But other “highlights/lowlights” in 2013 don’t immediately qualify as blessings. Friends died: Rick Wells, my daughter-in-law's father, and Les Six, a patriarch of our church. Dionne struggled for a month with a kidney stone, serious infection, lots of pain, ER visits, and an uncomfortable stent. My younger son injured his back and was out of work for months.

Looking back, God was there in the hardest times, walking with us, bringing comfort and peace and provision. Rick and Les lived and died in Christ and finished well. Their home-goings were full of grace and peace. Dionne recovered but we were reminded not to take health or life for granted. We are dependent upon Christ every day, for every breath. My son's back is better, and God brought him another job.

I hope you’ll consider doing your own “highlight reel.” I'm sure it will give you more reasons to admire Christ and give thanks.