Monday, December 30, 2013

No Wasted Pain - Through the Flood and the Fire: Part 2

“No wasted pain, no wasted pain.” I heard my wife whisper that many times when the pain was nearly unbearable. I found myself calmed by her courage, and came to believe the truth of Isaiah 43:1-3 because I saw her living it out, even when her health was at its worst.

We Christians are not spared suffering and heartache, but we have God’s word to interpret our pain and His presence to sustain us through it. That’s what Isaiah 43 has meant to Dionne and me.

Here’s the passage again, with my own highlights: But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior (Isaiah 43:1-3a).

Last time I spoke of three simple lessons my wife and I learned (and are still learning) from this ancient prophecy. The first is that we belong to Him. When the flood waters rise or the fires threaten, courage comes from knowing that we are His, and that He is in control.

Here’s the second truth: The flood and the fire are inevitable. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. Please notice: it says when you pass through these hard times, not if.

One of the lies often told in our society, and sometimes even in the church, is that God’s highest goal is the comfort and happiness of His children. God is pictured as an anxious parent, just hovering over the crib of His child. If the baby cries, He rushes to bring relief.

Certainly our Father hears our cries. But the truth is, God's highest good is His own glory. Thankfully His plans also include bringing His own children to glory. (I wrote about that here.) But for reasons that He often keeps to Himself, the process of transforming us into the image of Jesus involves pain. In this world, Jesus said, you will have tribulation (John 16:33).

As my wife says, there is no wasted pain. God allows (or sends) it only when necessary:  In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:6-7, my emphasis).

Christians do go through deep waters, they do find themselves in the fire of trial and tribulation. Our God intends to shape all of us into the image of His Son, to make our character sweet and pliable and pure. Christlikeness sometimes requires suffering.

He never wastes our pain. He watches and measures and plans it, with godliness and glory His goal. You have kept count of my tossings; put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book? (Psalm 56:8)

If you’re wading through the river, if you’re watching the flames rise higher and hotter, you’re in good company. You’re with Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego, thrown into the furnace for righteousness’ sake. Or Joseph, huddled in prison for resisting an easy path to sin. You're with Paul, stoned and left for dead for preaching the gospel. You stand with a great throng of battered heroes (see Hebrews 11).

Best of all, you’re in the company of the Lord Jesus Christ, who was treated like a criminal by His own creation, humiliated and tortured and killed on a lonely hillside outside the city. His suffering was not wasted. For it was fitting that he, for whom and by whom all things exist, in bringing many sons to glory, should make the founder of their salvation perfect through suffering (Hebrews 2:10).

God’s plan for you has always been joy and glory. But the flood and the fire are part of the path you and I walk to get there.