Thursday, March 28, 2013

An Exceptional Man

On Palm Sunday morning, March 24, our friend Rick Wells died at home at the age of 65. We’re all comforted to know that he went immediately into the presence of Christ.

Dionne and I got to know Rick and his wife Jeanne by marriage: their daughter Cheryl married our son Andy. So it was our privilege to be in a family circle with Rick over the last ten years or so. He was one of the finest men I’ve ever known.

Rick was a man of many gifts and accomplishments, but what stood out to me was his gentle way with his family and friends. He was great with kids of all ages. He could instantly organize and lead a crew of little ones, racing them through the house on a treasure hunt. His enthusiasm and energy made it hard for anybody to keep pace with him.

Words like kindness, hospitality, and generosity weren’t just occasional descriptions of Rick. They were true every time I saw him, including just a few weeks ago when he was very sick.

A wonderful husband and father, he treated my son like a son, and was a great “poppy” to our shared grandchildren.

Rick makes me admire Jesus more. I think he would deflect any of the countless tributes he’ll receive in his passing, and point to Christ. That’s the true measure of an exceptional man.

Heaven seems a little closer now, knowing he's there.