Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Broken Plant

A couple nights ago I got to babysit our two grandchildren. My wife had to leave for part of the evening (how convenient!) so I had the two kids all to myself. My granddaughter is four and a half, and my grandson is a year and a half. And I was born during the Harding administration.

I got ready by chugging a five-hour energy drink and strapping on body armor. Just kidding.

Actually I got ready by childproofing our living room a little bit. I moved the big matches on the fireplace from the hearth to the mantle, put away a container of pens and pencils, and stored my wife’s cross-stitch project in the closet.
                                                                                                          
Then I dragged the coffee table out of the way, and slid the big leather chair in front of the loveseat. That way we could hurl ourselves from one to the other without being impaled on the corner of the table. And by “we” I mean, of course, the grandkids. I didn’t actually hurl myself, though I did lurch, stumble, and wobble a couple times.

We had a great time. We watched Thomas the Train on Netflix and sang the songs together. We all made loud, crazy noises and ran laps around the furniture. We played tag, with me holding my grandson on my shoulders while my granddaughter easily outran us. We dropped tennis balls in the dog’s water dish. Then we got our own water to drink and also to pour onto the loveseat. We hid under our blankees and snuck up on one another. It was pretty fun.

So finally I needed a breather. I sank down onto the hearth, and as I did, I heard a small sound. “Snap.”

My wife loves plants, nurtures them as if they were living things. Which, technically, they might be.  Anyhow, she has a big green one (sorry if that’s too horticultural for you) on the hearth. One stem of the big green plant sticks out sideways, the plant’s attempt, I assume, to “go to the light” or whatever.

Or I guess I should say it used to stick out. Because I sat on it and broke it clean off, as Dirty Harry used to say. Oops.

As I held the broken stem in my hand, I became aware that both grandkids had stopped running around and were watching me. “Nana is not going to like this very much,” I intoned. “Nana is going to be really upset with you,” my granddaughter agreed.

I stuck the ten-inch branch back into the dirt, hoping maybe it would grow again, and that my wife wouldn’t notice. My granddaughter tried to help by covering the stump with one of the leaves. We sat and contemplated some more. “I’m going to have to tell her,” I finally said.

Both kids looked at me solemnly. It was quiet for another long moment.

Finally my granddaughter said, with great wisdom, “Just say you’re sorry.”