Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Come Unto Me

Some days I feel like a weary child whose life is confusing, whose days are hard, with little understanding of why. I need Jesus in those times not to explain or to offer up a grand scheme. I need Him, His presence, His goodness, His kindness, and His nail-scarred hands.

If I could, on those days I would curl up like a little child, close to the warmth of my Savior. I would come near to Him without speaking, and just settle down at His side. I believe He would smell like leather, like wood smoke, and like the sea. And sitting so near Him would settle my heart.

And some days I feel like an old man, so tired of trying hard and often failing that I need the touch of Someone older than time, the Ancient of Days, who will soothe my brow and let me rest. Maybe, I hope, I will hear Him whisper: “Well done.”

This is one of those days, Lord Jesus Christ. 

I'm glad You said, Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.