Thursday, April 25, 2013

I Wouldn't Trade

The other night my son and I saw a science fiction movie starring one of Hollywood’s biggest stars. We went to a late showing, and I noticed that most of the theater audience were young men 
 
It was really a good movie, filled with mind-boggling special effects, stunning vistas of a future earth, and whiplash plot twists. But without question what made the film work was the star's heroism, athleticism, and believability.

Most of the young men in the audience would probably love to trade places with this guy. He is handsome, poised, does most of his own stunts, and has more money than the king of a small country. In his movies he is loved by gorgeous women, and in his real life he seems to be surrounded with stunning young females. I suppose it’s no wonder that many men think they would prefer his life over their own.

I reflected on all that as the IMAX sound system blew back what’s left of my hair. While I really enjoyed the movie, I wouldn't trade the movie star's life for the one I've been living all these years. 

Despite his toned muscles and killer smile, the star will grow old and die. His money won't save him, and the legacy of being a movie star won't matter in the end. None of his relationships with beautiful women has gone the distance. He may die alone. Saddest of all, he is a committed member of a cult religion. 

The things that are most admirable about him are ego-driven, self-gratifying, and pride-inflating. Jesus told a parable about a guy like him, who seemed to have it all, and then one day God demanded his soul. And the divine assessment of the man was abrupt and final: You fool! (see Luke 12:16-21). What does that say about those who wished his life could be theirs?

For me, a two-hour movie is entertainment.  But the best thing is, I get to go back to my real life. Because the Person I really admire has already traded His life for mine. The life He gave me lasts forever, and so do the the relationships and the riches.