Monday, May 14, 2012

When You're Exhausted


A week or so ago I wrote in my journal: “Yesterday was a hard day.” And then I listed all the things I had done, and how exhausted I was. I don’t think I was feeling sorry for myself, but it was close.

Anyhow, the next day I was reading Luke 4, and I saw someone who had every reason to be exhausted.

I’m not sure how many days this represented, but it was a relatively short span of time in which Jesus:
  •  Finished a 40-day fast
  • Triumphed over Satan after an ongoing spiritual battle that lasted for nearly six weeks
  •  Started teaching in the synagogues
  •  Spoke at Nazareth, where the crowd first received Him with wonder, but then tried to kill Him
  • Taught at Capernaum, cast out a demon, and achieved acclaim throughout the region
  • Healed Simon’s mother-in-law
  •  Healed all the demonized and sick who came to Him
  • Tried to retreat but was followed by the crowd
  • Started preaching in Judea

For 30 years He led a normal (albeit sinless) human life. He worked in the carpenter shop, took care of His mother, brothers and sisters, and went to the synagogue on the Sabbath. He didn’t heal, cast out demons, walk on water, or preach.

But all that changed when He began His three-year journey to Calvary. His life erupted in a flurry of activity: preaching, teaching, healing, casting out demons, confronting critics, comforting friends, and all the while walking in the shadow of the cross.

I admire Christ’s incredible devotion, diligence, energy, and endurance. I'm glad He knows how it feels when you're so tired you can barely lift your head.