Saturday, May 19, 2012

Life Verse


Do you have a life verse? If so, feel free to share it.

A “life verse” is a Scripture passage that has special meaning to you. A promise you want to guide and encourage you, a challenge you want to meet, a purpose you’ve given your life to. 

My life verse is: But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. (2 Corinthians 2:14, NIV). I've got a long way to go, but I'm trying to follow and trust the Lord's lead, and in the process, let the sweet smell of Christ fill the place.

Did you ever wonder if Jesus had a life verse? This one comes pretty close. He used it in His first sermon in Nazareth:
“The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:18-19, ESV)
I don’t know if He thought of it as a life verse, but it fits Him well, don’t you think? For all of us who have been spiritual destitute, enslaved, blind, and broken, how grateful we are that He came to proclaim good news, forgiveness and freedom, hope and peace.

So what’s your life verse?