Monday, February 13, 2012

Why We're Afraid to Pray

Many years ago while I was still in college I needed somebody to talk to. I was struggling with a problem and didn’t know how to solve it. I had run out of ideas and had just about given up.

I knew a Christian doctor, an older man well-respected in his church. A family physician, he had a reputation for wisdom and gentleness. Just the kind of man who could give me counsel, I hoped. While I was nervous about seeking advice, I was desperate enough that I made an appointment to see him.

A week or so later, I walked into his office, took a seat, and haltingly told him my troubles. He sat behind a big desk and leaned forward as I spoke. I was both embarrassed and relieved to be talking to someone about issues that seemed too heavy for me to carry. Once my voice broke, and I paused to get control of my emotions. The doctor smiled encouragingly.

Finally I had laid out the whole mess to him. I already felt a little bit better.

The doctor smiled at me again, and then said, “It’s obvious that you are being punished for your sins.” If he had slammed me in the face with a brick, I don’t think it could have hurt more. Even now, so many years later, I feel the sting of it.

I guess there are many morals to this story. But the one I’m thinking of has to do with prayer. Sometimes we’re actually afraid to pray. We may not even know why.

I think it’s because we expect Jesus to respond to us like that Christian doctor responded to me: with impatience, judgment, anger, and condemnation.

But what I so admire about our Savior is His kindness toward desperate, needy people like you and me.

  • Four men were so frantic to get their paralyzed friend to Jesus that they interrupted the Lord’s sermon and even destroyed private property in the process. Instead of rebuking them, He saw their faith and healed their friend (Matthew 9:2-8).
  • A known prostitute interrupted a private dinner to collapse, weeping, at Christ’s feet. Through her sobs she began to wash His feet with her tears. Jesus’ Pharisee hosts were outraged and indignant, but He forgave the woman’s sins and sent her away in peace (Luke 7:36-50).
  • A desperate father begged Jesus to come to help his little daughter who was at the point of death. Christ dropped everything to follow the man, but on the way word came that the girl had died. Some tried to persuade the grieving father to quit bothering Jesus, but He comforted the man, continued on to the house, and raised his little girl from the dead (Mark 5:21-24, 35-43).
  • A leper, ostracized and feared because of his disfiguring disease, came timidly to Jesus, hoping to be healed. Not only did Jesus heal the man, but He did so by touching him (Matthew 8:1-3). How long had it been since that poor man had felt the warmth of a healthy human touch?
  • A woman with an embarrassing and chronic issue of blood touched Jesus’ garment, thereby rendering Him ceremoniously unclean. Instead of expressing indignation, Jesus called her “Daughter,” commended her faith, and healed her (Mark 5:25-34).
Of course the story I began with is also a call for kindness by human counselors. Sure, tough love, exhortation, and even rebuke are appropriate at times. But often what people need, and what we lack, is kindness.

Our Savior’s kindness is on every page of the Gospels. He is so approachable, so patient, so wise, so empathetic, and so powerful. When we come to Him in prayer, we need never fear. He is a wonderful Savior, the best of Friends, the wisest of counselors, and the kindest person we will ever know.