Thursday, May 9, 2013

Why I Love Being a Christian

I just watched part of Tim Keller’s DVD series, The Reason for God, based on his book. He sat down with six people who have objections to the Christian faith, to dialogue with them. The session was unscripted, insightful and fascinating.

The best moment for me was when one of the skeptics asked Dr. Keller if he was open to the possibility he might be wrong about Christianity. He responded that he has two basic reasons for his faith: rational and existential. He said that though he was confident in the rational arguments, it was possible they might be shaken. But for him the existential reasons– his experiences of the presence and power of God over the years since he has been a Christian – were unassailable.

Our experiences need to be rooted in the truth of Scripture. But Keller is right – obeying the gospel truth leads us into life experiences that are powerful and unassailably wonderful. To tell an unbeliever about these is like trying to describe a sunset to someone born without sight.

Still, Dr. Keller’s video made me want to write down some of the “experiences” that make me love being a Christian. This post is longer than I prefer, even though I tried for just the highlights. There’s so much I love about being a Christian!
  • Experiences of forgiveness and cleansing. I have come to know what the Scriptures say: Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered (Psalm 32:1). Can there be anything more wonderful than knowing your sins – past, present, and future – have been forgiven by Almighty God!
  • Experiences of Christ’s presence. When you pursue Christ, sometimes the reality of His glory and greatness and beauty floods your soul. It’s almost a sensory overload. Often I feel His presence in corporate worship, praising Him with hundreds of others. Other times it's when I'm sitting quietly by myself in prayer. And I can say, gratefully, Yes, He is altogether lovely (Song of Solomon 5:16).
  • Experiences of being loved and cherished. How Christ would choose me, love me, die for me, desire fellowship with me, all the while knowing my sins and failures, is more than overwhelming. To feel His love, to know Somebody (the greatest Somebody of all) actually  treasures you and gave His life to make you His is to say with the Psalmist, Your steadfast love is better than life (Psalm 63:3).
  • Experiences of protection and provision. My family and I have had many times over the years when our Savior has protected us and provided for us. (I wrote about His provision here.) He watches over us, like a Shepherd cares for His sheep. How wonderful. The promise is true: my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).
  • Experiences of direction and guidance. In the long journey of my life, Christ has consistently led me - through His word, the counsel of others, and circumstances. As David said, he leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake (Psalm 23:3). The most viewed post on this blog is The Oranges, the true story of how Christ showed my wife and me He wanted us together.
  • Experiences of purpose and mission. Since becoming a Christian so many years ago, I’ve never doubted God had a purpose for my life. Following Christ isn't easy, I've found, but it's almost always interesting. The search for meaning is a pretty short one when you serve the Lord who commanded, Go therefore and make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:19).
   All of which is to say, the main reason I love being a Christian is Jesus.