Saturday, November 24, 2012

What Jesus Taught About Heaven

The other night I dreamt I heard my father's voice in the next room. As we often do in dreams, I tried to understand how this could be true. Is Dad really just through that door? He's been gone over 45 years.

My dream was a little unsettling. I still miss my dad after all these years. Sometimes the hole in our heart never heals this side of heaven. But since I believe my father was a Christian, the hope of heaven is real. And maybe heaven is, in some sense, just through that door.

So a disturbing dream got me thinking of heaven once again. (I wrote about it earlier: Who Will Be Waiting for You in Heaven). And I decided to look again at what Jesus told His disciples in the Upper Room.
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:1-6
Even though I've read these words many, many times over the years, I found fresh encouragement.
1. Jesus wants us to be comforted and not to live in fear about death. Let not your hearts be troubled...
2. Our convictions about heaven are based on our confidence in Christ. Believe in God, believe also in me. 
3. Jesus said heaven is a place. I go to prepare a place...(The Greek word, topos, gives us English words like topography and topographical maps.)
4. This place is my Father's house. For me this is a warm and inviting description.
5. This house is a place for us to live in; it has many rooms.
6. Jesus has prepared this place just for us. I go to prepare a place for you.
7. Christ will personally take His people to this place. I will come again and will take you...
8. He wants us with Him and personally assures us that we will be.  ...take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.
9. The only way to get to the Father's house is Jesus. I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
I think it is true that my dad is just through that door. The door is Jesus. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. John 10:9

By the way, if you'd like to know more about how to get to heaven by trusting Christ alone as Lord and Savior, click here. It's a little website called "Two Ways to Live."