Saturday, September 8, 2012

What Would You Say About Jesus?


So the big political conventions are over, and our nation can finally get back to something really important – football! (Kidding. A little...)

What I figured out about the convention speakers of both parties is that there were two basic themes: 1) our guy is great, or 2) the other guy is terrible. (Or if you are the guy, you say, “I am great, and the other guy is terrible.”)

The big speeches made me want to say, as Jean-Baptiste Massillon did at the funeral of the self-absorbed Louis XIV: “Only God is great!”

I got to thinking, what if I had been given five minutes to speak at one of those conventions. (Clint Eastwood was given only a few minutes, and made quite an impact with his extemporaneous speech and an empty chair.) If I had the chance, what would I say about the Lord Jesus? What about His character would I recommend? What admirable qualities would I lift up?

How about you? If you had only a few sentences to speak for the Savior, would you be able say, “My Jesus is great, and here’s what I love about Him…”

Seriously, what would you say?