Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Good Kind of Jealousy


I am most gladly content that Christ breaketh all my idols in pieces: it hath put a new edge upon my blunted love to Christ. I see he is jealous of my love, and will have all to himself.

One of my heroes, Samuel Rutherford, wrote that over 350 years ago, but as I read it again recently, it seemed almost too good to be true. Christ is jealous of my love? He wants it "all to himself?" Really?

The truth that God is a jealous God is familiar to me. I the LORD your God am a jealous God (Exodus 20:5). I've always associated that holy jealousy as a passion for His own glory. 

But can it actually be true that the precious Lord Jesus not only is jealous for His glory, but also actually desires my fellowship? Sometimes I am so sick of my own company that I can’t imagine why the God of the universe would bother, even after He has redeemed me. But He does.

God’s word says the Lord Jesus is a like a bridegroom who not only has redeemed His bride, but has an ongoing, purifying ministry to her until they can be together forever (Ephesians 5:25-27). 

Here's what I know from Scripture:
  • I don't have anything within me to attract the love of Jesus (Romans 7:18a; Romans 3:10ff).
  • Yet He wanted me and chose me for Himself before I was ever born (Ephesians 1:4; Romans 8:28-30).
  • In choosing me He determined to die in my place, reckoning all my sins as His and all His righteousness as mine (2 Corinthians 5:21; Galatians 3:13).
  • He continues to love me and seek my fellowship, even though I am often a fickle friend and faithless follower (Ephesians 5:25-27).
  • He has promised me that I will be with Him in heaven, which is the absolute best thing that could ever happen to me, and yet somehow my being there brings Him glory (John 14:1-3; cf. John 17:20-26).
  • Maybe Rutherford is right: maybe He is jealous of my love, and wants it all to Himself.
I’ve been a Christian over 40 years, and I’m still getting used to the idea that Jesus loves me that much.