Sunday, December 6, 2015

Four Lessons on Trimming a Puppy's Toenails

In August we got a new golden retriever puppy. We named her Mercy, which is what we’ve been asking God for ever since.

Anyway, I’ve been a dog owner all my life, but I’m always open to learn new things. Like yesterday when I decided to trim Mercy’s toenails. My experience taught me some important lessons that I want to pass on as a public service.

Lesson #1: Help the puppy become comfortable with the trimmer. This is such a good idea, and how I wish I could have done it. Puppies are evidently not fans of toenail trimming. Yesterday Mercy seemed to think that I was revving a chainsaw rather than holding a tiny little trimmer. So we didn’t really get to the “comfortable with trimmer” stage.

Actually, when she saw the trimmer and instantly sized up the situation, she seemed to go through the five stages of death and dying.

First was denial. Oh, HECK no. This is NOT happening, she seemed to say. She ran like the wind, sailing over couches and chairs, charging up the stairs and into closets, effortlessly eluding my grasp.  But of course with my superior human brain I had locked the front door, and she hasn’t learned how to flip the dead bolt. Yet.

Then anger. You are the WORST human being on this planet, and I promise you I will make this right. It might not be today or even tomorrow, but sooner or later you’re going to find a little present in one of your shoes…She was fuming. By this time I had cornered her and was telling her, in the ridiculous baby-talk we use for dogs, “What’s the matter, little puppy dog? You’re all right, you’ll be just fine.” So I nabbed her.

Third is bargaining. Okay, okay, how about a face-lick? See, I’m wagging my tail. You’re really a very fine person, and I respect you ever so much. But right now I think we should go outside and get some fresh air. How about we play with the ball? But I am on to her tricks and was having none of it.

Fourth, depression. She refused to look at me or the trimmer. Just do whatever you have to do with me. I’m only a little dog, and you can beat me and mistreat me and there’s NOTHING I can do. She slumped down on my lap, ears drooping and tail curled between her legs.

The fifth stage is acceptance. Which I admit was temporary. I did use pieces of broiled chicken and bacon, and this helped her accept her fate for the first five toes.

Lesson #2: Hold the puppy in a comfortable, relaxed position so you can easily reach her paws. Yeah, right. I outweigh Mercy by 120 pounds, but she must be working out. She is supernaturally strong, and so my idea of holding her next to me on the couch turned into a kind of MMA bout. But eventually, by pretty much lying on top of her, we were ready to begin.

Lesson #3: When you trim the toenails, be careful to avoid cutting into “the quick.” See, each toenail has the hard, naily part at the end, and that’s what you’re supposed to trim. But behind that is a softer, more sensitive part called the quick, which is basically a bunch of nerve endings attached to an artery. If you cut into the quick, two things will happen. The dog’s foot will bleed and the dog will move so quickly that she will actually time-travel, hurtling across the room so as to slow the rotation of the earth. She might also make a sound that instantly stops traffic throughout the hemisphere.

So I did that. Cut the quick, I mean.

I should also point out that our son just installed a beautiful laminate floor in our living room. Within about four nano-seconds, that floor looked like a crime scene as Mercy jettisoned across it, spurting blood from her toe and yelping like I had just tried to kill her.

So anyway, I guess my last lesson is, Do not attempt puppy toenail trimming without the aid of trained professionals. Or at least delegate this to your wife, whom the dog prefers anyway.

Thus endeth the lesson.