Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Losing My Religion and Gaining My Savior

I grew up in a home where going to church and practicing religion were regarded as part of your civic duty. It’s what good people did. I was taught that it didn’t matter much what religion you chose – “all roads lead to the same place. Just get on one of them and stay on it.” So I did.

But then my father got very sick and we were unable to attend church on Sundays. After he died, we never went back. By then I didn’t care about civic duty. My religion left me empty and I was done with it.

The summer after Dad’s passing I attended a youth retreat where I heard about Jesus. I met Him. I became a Christian. And almost immediately I began to see that religion is radically different than Christianity.

Religion is a man-centered system based on a false premise – that we can become good enough, or that we are good enough, to earn God’s acceptance. Christianity is a Christ-centered faith that says we are so hopelessly flawed and fallen that we can never earn God’s favor, but that Christ paid the penalty for sin that we owe, and in Him God accepts us.

Religion: Be good, and maybe God will accept you. Christianity: God accepts you in Christ, so be good.

All of this came home to me again in a story from Luke’s gospel – the healing of a woman with a severe back disability. I just taught through it in church, and want to talk about it next time.

But for now: what about you? Are you “religious?” Maybe that’s not a good thing. But finding a Savior – that’s the best.

And here’s a link that summarizes pretty well the story and mission of Jesus.

For next time: Three Stark Contrasts Between Religion and Christianity