Friday, July 13, 2018

No Bias in Agent Smirk. His Heart is Pure!

This week I listened to the testimony of an FBI agent before a Senate Committee. I bet you know who I’m talking about. Rather than use his actual name (which temptingly rhymes with words I shouldn’t use), I’ll call him Peter Smirk.

Mr. Smirk’s bias for Hillary Clinton and against Donald Trump was on clear display in text messages he shared with his mistress, another FBI agent. When faced with the evidence, he -  unbelievably - defended himself by proclaiming that he is an incredible patriot and would never, ever act out of bias.

It’s another case of who you gonna believe -  me or your lying eyes? 

Agent Smirk wants everyone to trust that his inner motivations, attested to by him, should trump (heh) the abundant evidence that he was acting to elevate one political candidate and destroy another. The arbiter of truth is my inner world which only I can see. I will, therefore, simply tell you my truth, and you better believe it.

Wow. Try saying, I wasn’t really embezzling that money. The fact that my bank account went up by $100,000, and the store’s bank account went down by exactly the same amount is not even relevant. I would never, ever steal money. I'm a good person. And that’s the end of it.

Even closer to home, I really, really love Jesus, and He is the Lord of my life. You say I never attend church, never read the Bible, cheat my customers, and more than once my wife has gone to the ER with broken bones. That’s just your opinion. My heart tells me I am a true and faithful Christian and a great husband. How dare you judge me!

Scripture has a different approach than the beleaguered Agent Smirk (or the non-embezzler, or the “true” Christian). Jesus said “For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false witness, slander” (Matthew 15:19). In other words, the outward actions are the only real evidence of inner truth.

When Christ warned about false prophets, He said “You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?” (Matthew 7:16). We can’t read the minds or diagnose the motives. We’re going to have to go with the fruit - what a person does, what the life actually produces

“A quick way to come to wisdom about yourself,” says Andrew Klavan,  is to understand this: you are what you do. You're not your good intentions. You're not your noble feelings. Your deeds are what make you who you are.” (His entire article is great. Read the whole thing here.)

The Bible says there’s coming a day when what’s really in a person’s heart will be revealed (see 1 Corinthians 4:5).

Until then someone who writes exoneration reports before actually examining witnesses, who cheats on his wife and lies about it, who texts his lover and promises to prevent the election of one candidate over another, well, it's hard not to conclude such a man is a liar and a cheat and the very epitome of biased. And the smirking of Mr. Smirk doesn’t help.