Monday, June 6, 2016

The Greatest – Reflections on Muhammad Ali and My Dad

I’ve been thinking about my dad lately. Maybe because Father’s Day is coming up, but to tell the truth he is never far from my thoughts. And at the same time the death of Muhammad Ali has been all over the news.

Both men were boxers. Everybody knows Ali was an incredible athlete, Olympic gold medal winner, three-time heavyweight champ.  But of course his influence transcended boxing. He seemed larger than life.

My dad fought Golden Gloves as a young man. I don’t know how many boxing matches he won because, like many men of his generation, he was reluctant to place himself in the spotlight. But as a little kid I prevailed upon him to give me details of some of his exploits.

One of my favorites: Dad came home late one night and surprised  two men burglarizing his house. He took one guy out with a piece of firewood, and the other with his fists. He put them in the hospital. Dad won that one, though no press conference was called.

Ali’s fame had much to do with the volatile 60’s and the unpopularity of the Vietnam War. He refused induction into the Army, citing his conversion to Islam. He was convicted of draft evasion and stripped of his heavyweight title. He appealed the verdict, and the case went all the way to the Supreme Court, where it was reversed and he was granted conscientious objector status.

The people who came to admire him saw courage of conviction and trail-blazing leadership. Others like my dad didn’t think it was heroic to shirk your duty.

Muhammad Ali’s conversion to Islam paved the way for many African Americans, and no doubt others, to look with favor on the prophet Mohammed. Ali became a world-wide ambassador for Islam. My dad became a Christian as a young man, practiced his faith quietly, and taught me that going to church was how a man conducted his life.

This is probably a non sequitur, but I feel like mentioning that since the year 2000 there have been over 61,000 terrorist attacks, killing more than 140,000 people. The overwhelming majority of these murders were committed by the religion of peace that Ali helped popularize.

Mohammed Ali was married four times and had at least nine children, two of whom were born out of wedlock. I heard him in a TV interview years ago when he was asked about his liaisons with other women. He was dismissive of the question, and implied it was based in racism. 

This week I read several poignant accounts of Mohammad Ali’s estrangement from his only son. Ali, Jr. is in his 40’s and lives in poverty. My Dad and Mom had a strong marriage, and I experienced first-hand the security a child has when he knows his parents love one another.

I don’t know what an athletic, outgoing, achiever of a man like my dad thought about adopting a sensitive, bookish and introverted little boy like me. But he had a way of making me feel loved and appreciated even though I was not him.

Dad taught me to work hard, to fight for your family, and to let the ones you love know they’re precious to you. He was not famous and when he died, there was no network coverage.

But when I think about someone to pattern your life after, for me it’s an easy choice. He would never have said this about himself, but I can. Dad, you’re the greatest.