Saturday, May 9, 2015

Reflections on the Death of Our Little Dog

Last night we had to do what all dog lovers dread.

In March Jethro, our golden retriever, was diagnosed with canine Aspergillosis, a fungal infection of the nasal cavity. The only potential treatment plan was thousands of dollars beyond our financial means.

We tried to treat him with homeopathic remedies we found on the internet, but we didn't see any improvement. His nasal discharge got worse, and eventually he became weak. Last night when we came home the infection had evidently eaten through a blood vessel. Blood was everywhere. He was huddled underneath the table, frightened and dripping blood. And so we took him to the animal hospital, told him he was a good dog and that we loved him, and then said goodbye.

Jethro was not the smartest dog or the bravest, but he was sweet and affectionate and he was ours. We always called him “our little dog,” even though he weighed 70 pounds. He had a gentle soul and we took care of him and loved him the best we knew how.

Dionne and I had a similar reaction to his death. (In addition to crying, I mean.) We both thought about the inevitable bridges left to cross that involve one another and the other people we love, and not just dogs.

Of course we love our dogs, and they are an extended part of our family. But there is a fundamental difference between them and our human loved ones. God made dogs for us, but He made us for Himself. Our Master cared so much for us that He died in our place to insure that we would always be together. Jesus Himself became the Bridge that Dionne and I and our dear ones will one day cross “and thus we will always be with the Lord,” as Paul put in 1 Thessalonians 4:17.

The Bible doesn't say much about what happens to our dogs (or other beloved animals) after they die. (I wrote about what I hope will happen in Do Dogs Go to Heaven?)

But the Bible is abundantly clear about what happens when believers in Christ die.

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die…” (John 11:25, 26). He said, “In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.”

And maybe, in His gracious plan, we’ll find there’s a place for Jethro, too.