Sunday, October 12, 2014

Because He Was There

Sometimes you forget who your Savior is, or at least I do. I guess it’s a little like having a friend who just happens to be the President or the King. You’re used to being around him, having access to him, and you don’t always remember he’s also the most powerful person in the world.

I remember seeing President George W. Bush’s daughter Jenna on a talk show while her dad was still in office. The talk show host said something like, “So you could just call him up right now?” And the daughter took out her cell phone, punched a number, and started talking to the President of the United States. Pretty amazing.

What I mean is, sometimes I take for granted that my Friend is also, well, God!

Like the other day, I was reading the last part of Matthew 6 where Jesus taught about not being anxious, and how God provides for us. He said, "And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin,yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these" (vv. 28-29).

So I thought, Hmmm. Wonder how Jesus knew what Solomon’s glory was like? And then it hit me, Because He was there.

Solomon lived over 900 years before Jesus’ sojourn in Galilee, but of course He knew Solomon intimately - his clothing, what he had for breakfast, and his thoughts at any given moment.

Jesus often made seemingly offhand comments that reveal His deity and eternality and sovereignty.

"I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven" (Luke 10:18). Before recorded history, before the creation of this planet, Jesus watched Lucifer’s rebellion, a mutiny that impacts every person who has ever lived.

Or how about this one: "Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad." So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?” "Before Abraham was, I am" (John 8:57-58). Remember, Abraham lived over 1400 years before Jesus’ incarnation!

It’s a great comfort to have a Savior who is so kind and approachable. But it makes it even more wonderful when you realize He has been watching over us and keeping us for Himself since the foundation of the world.