Saturday, July 12, 2014

My First Colonoscopy

This past week I had my first colonoscopy, long overdue. I didn’t even intend to have it. I quite innocently asked my family doctor, "So does Kaiser still do colonoscopies for people my age?" And he said, "I’ll set it up." (Wait…what just happened?)

Colonoscopies seem to make quite an impression upon people. You never forget your first one – though, of course you try through years of therapy. Just kidding. It’s similar to, I suppose, your first roller coaster, or maybe your first car wreck.

Anyhow, I thought I might share some of my reflections, for the benefit of you who are yet uninitiated, and perhaps to the fond recollection of those who are.

When people say, “the worst part is the prep,” they are oh so right. See, your system has to be “prepped,” which means purged of everything (and that includes food, dignity, and any sense of well-being) in order to make sure the “scope” has an unobstructed view of your colonular region. (Hope I’m not getting too technical). To accomplish this first step, you need a prescription for what is called “the prep.” Insider’s tip: the “prep” is basically the most powerful laxative ever known to man, one which might end the war on terror if we could only get our enemies to drink about a gallon of it. (Sir, all the terror cells are gone. Everyone seems to be in the bathroom.)

So I picked up the “prep” at the pharmacy. Normally your prescription is a little brown bottle of pills, right? When the pharmacist plunked down a gallon jug with my name on it, I knew I was in trouble. The name of my “prep” was Golytely. Seriously. No matter how you pronounce this, it is only partly true. You do go, but not by any definition, lightly.

You fill the jug with a gallon of water. It already has the “special powder” in the bottom, which I’m only guessing was an isotope of the element “Crampium.” Someone told me to add a couple packets of Crystal Light, which was good advice. Instead of tasting like the clogged-drain-opening chemical you keep under the kitchen sink, it tasted like that, but with bright notes of lemon. I had to drink three quarts of this the night before my procedure, and finish the last quart early in the morning. (Something to look forward to that night!)

Honestly, it was very awful, and tasted like something that should never be placed in the human body. And in point of fact it does not remain in the human body for long. Within about an hour anything you have eaten within the last decade is transformed into molten lava and expelled from your body with the force of a Cruise missile. For the next several hours you are, for all intents and purposes, a human bottle rocket.

So anyhow, that’s how I got ready for what I’ve been calling the “up-periscope” procedure. My wife drove me to my appointment, and I got to change into the “gown of shame.” They told me I could leave my shirt and socks on, though, so that helped me preserve my sense of not being entirely exposed. It you’re going to leave your entire gluteal area open to the breeze, it is really comforting to have your shirt on!

So they started an IV to give me “something to relax me” and within a few minutes I met my doctor. She was a pony-tailed young woman who looked about fourteen. They wheeled me into the exam room and the doctor told me to roll onto my left side. (But if I do that, my robe will gap open and…oh, I see where this is going.) I got a couple shots of something, and I was very, very mellow for the first time in a couple days. The phrase “stick it where the sun don’t shine” took on new meaning, I admit, but it wasn’t too bad. To pass the time, I even watched a monitor where someone was, apparently, playing a video game. There was this long, twisty, scary-looking tunnel, and a little light-sabery thing was trying to find its way out. Eventually whoever was playing must have given up and backed out of the tunnel. Too bad. I kind of wanted a turn.

Anyhow, it was over in about 20 minutes, they wheeled me back out, and gave me some orange juice. Doogie Howser’s sister, my doctor, came and talked to me and gave me a good report. Thank You, Jesus.

Okay, so that’s my story. I have just one more thing to say, especially to you who may be reluctant to get a colonoscopy.

My father died of colon cancer. If he had had this test, it probably would have saved his life. Look, it’s not that bad. You probably won’t even feel the scope part of it. If you’re over 50, you need to schedule it. Let me know when you’ve set it up, and I promise I’ll be praying for you. God bless you.