Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Heroes

A couple days ago I read a story about former Army Staff Sergeant Clint Romesha, who was just awarded the Medal of Honor. The Army’s narrative of Romesha’s actions during a long day of fighting reads like the script of an action movie, but the bravery and leadership of this young soldier are the real deal. 


Do yourself a favor, and read the whole thing by clicking here. It made me proud that we still have men like this. We all need heroes, but the right kind.

Later the same day I was jogging my normal route around Rohr Park and I began meditating on Hebrews 12:1-2: Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

I started asking myself, how can I keep going? I want to finish well, but it’s tempting to stop. Life’s challenges and heartaches and disappointments can slow you down, your own sin can trip you up, distractions beckon you at every turn. So how do I persevere? How can I keep following Christ and finish the race He’s put me in? Anyone who thinks it’s easy to keep on keeping on hasn’t been trying for very long.

I thought I’d reflect on this for the next several posts. That’s what Hebrews 12:1-2 is talking about, of course. And it’s clear that one key to running the race with endurance is having the right kind of heroes. Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses is how the writer begins.

He’s talking about the heroes of Hebrews 11—the great host of people who faithfully, doggedly, sacrificially served the Lord and finished well. Most of them didn't receive any medals for their heroism. Not in this life, anyway.

"Witnesses" in Greek is the word “martyr,” and many of them were. But the godly men and women who have gone before are also witnesses in the sense that they are our examples, the people who, by their own lives, hold up a standard and are cheering us on.

If we could hear them, I think they'd be saying, It’s worth it! Don’t give up! Keep serving Jesus! Worthy is the Lamb, worthy is the Lamb! Your reward is coming one day. Stay true to Christ, don’t get distracted, keep running your race!

Heroes motivate and encourage and help us hang in there. I need heroes like this, and so do you.

Who do you look to as an example, a witness, of faithful, dogged, heroic perseverance?