Saturday, December 29, 2012

My Part and His Part

It's always a good idea to give credit where credit is do. So when we think about salvation, everyone knows there's my part (what sinners like me "bring to the table") and then there's His part (what Jesus contributes to my forgiveness).

I started a list, comparing my contribution to His. Credit where credit is due.

My private indulgence, His public humiliation
My twisted pleasure, His undeserved pain

My selfishness, His selflessness

My deep darkness, His highest holiness

My rebellion, His servanthood

My inconsistency, His faithfulness

My yielding to temptation, His unblemished victory over it

My failures, His successes

My pride, His humility
My foolishness, His wisdom

My slavery, His freedom

My hell-bound fall, His heaven-bought ascent

My despair, His hope

My stains, His cleansing
My cowardice, His courage

My sin, His cross

My debts, His payment

My shame, His glory

My estrangement, His reconciliation

My illegitimacy, His adoption

My guilt, His substitution

My spiritual bankruptcy, His imperishable inheritance
My frailty, His omnipotence

My moment-by-moment distractions, His eternally steadfast focus

My lying, His truth

My determined refusals, His irresistible grace

My filth, His purity

My trespasses, His blood
My death, His resurrection

So all the blame is mine, and all the credit is His.