Monday, April 23, 2012

Making Him Proud

When I was in seventh grade, Mr. Watson, the history teacher and football coach, gave us junior high boys a lecture on proper conduct. I can’t remember what sort of mischief he was warning us about, but I do remember his punch line: “bad behavior reflects on your parents.”

My admiration for my father approached hero-worship, and the thought that I might somehow embarrass him was horrifying to me. The hope of making Dad proud and the fear of causing him shame continue to motivate me, even though he’s been gone for many years.

I guess that’s why, for me, reading Jesus’ words in Mark 8:38 are like a punch in the stomach. The Savior said, For whoever is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

I know He’s not talking to Christians. This is a warning to those who reject Christ. Being ashamed of Him and His words now means facing divine rejection in eternity. The Savior they refused will be ashamed of them, to their eternal damnation.

But still. I can’t help but feel how terrible it would be to embarrass the Lord Jesus. And I know it's true--my behavior does reflect upon Him. The hope that I might make Him proud, and the fear of embarrassing Him, make me want to be a better man and a better Christian.

I bet you feel the same.