Thursday, June 18, 2020

The Extraction

My partner and I headed into the city, shrouded both by our robes and by the gathering darkness. We were dressed like the locals, and we stayed away from main streets and public places. We had worked together before, so it was easy for us to slip through the alleys and up quiet residential streets, headed toward our subject and the planned extraction.

The orders were unmistakable – get this family out.

Their home, unfortunately, was near the town square, but we arrived via an alleyway, and slid noiselessly up to the front door. The house was dark.

I tapped lightly and within a few seconds the small peep hole lit up and a voice said, “Can I help you?” I held up my ID and said, “Sir, we are under orders to get you and your family out of the city as soon as possible.” After a minute the voice spoke again. “Okay. We’re going to need some time. I gotta talk my wife and kids into this. They love the place and won’t leave without a fight.”

“Sir, it is absolutely imperative that you hurry. I can tell you it’s a matter of life and death.” There was a long silence and we heard, “All right. Come back in two hours.”

The strike was less than an hour away. “Sir, with all respect, fifteen minutes, tops. Please.” Another long pause and we finally heard, “Okay. ….do you want to come in? You might have to watch me get mowed down by three women.”

My partner motioned to the town square, which was lit up and milling with people. But there were a few outlying benches in deep shadow. I shrugged. “Sir, we can sit for a few minutes right across the street on that bench.”

Even as I said that a noisy gang of men started pointing at us. They were staggering around, under the influence of something, and they began yelling obscenities and at the same time inviting us over. Suddenly the front door opened, and a middle-aged man called us inside. “Get in here. Sorry, but you don’t want to be over there tonight.” I noticed the door was heavy and the deadbolt he slammed in place extended deep into the frame.

“Okay, I’m guessing this has something to do with my uncle, so you probably know my name is Yanni. Let me introduce you to my family. Come on back.” He was short and overweight, dressed in shorts and flip-flops. His beard was untrimmed and he seemed a bit unsteady as he led us into the next room. “Get you guys something to drink?” Both of us shook our heads.

“Gentlemen, these are my girls.” An older woman, his wife we presumed, was tilted back in a recliner, and two young women, maybe early 20’s, were doing one another’s nails at the table. Both wore short robes.

“That’s the love of my life, my darling Sally. Sally, these two men work for my uncle and they are going to help us take a little trip tonight.”

Unlike her casually dressed husband, Sally wore a formal gown and was bedecked with jewelry – neck, arms, and every finger. “Why, hello,” she said, looking us up and down. She extended her right hand as if we were supposed to kiss it. Neither of us budged. “Ma’am,” we both said.

“Here are my daughters, almost as beautiful as their mother. Abby and Mona.” They both looked us over as their mother had. “You’re….tall,” one of them said. “Hey, do you want to sit with us while we finish our nails?” the other asked. It sounds cartoonish, but they both batted their eyes.

Yanni interrupted with a nervous laugh “Hey, you girls are spoken for…they both have boyfriends…and why don’t you run upstairs and get some decent clothes on. We’re going on a little trip tonight.”

“What!” Sally spoke. “We’re not going anywhere, Yanni. I don’t even like your uncle, and for your information we love it here.” “But honey…” Yanni began.

Sally turned to us again. “You boys should think about settling down here. Some people might think it’s a little different here – but we just live and let live,” she said, beaming up at us. “The city’s been so good for our family! Just look at all this,” she said sweeping her sparkly hand over their dining room and kitchen.

My partner and I have seen some truly beautiful places. We live in the loveliest city you can imagine. So the garish displays of loud colors, the expensive furniture and lamps, the hanging beads and thick drapes, did not impress us any more than Sally’s heavy makeup. I tried to be polite: “Yes, ma’am.”

My partner rarely speaks, so I was surprised to hear his question. “Pardon me, Ma’am. But aren’t you concerned about the…. other influences on your family?” “Why, whatever do you mean? Look at my girls – do you see any influence on them?”

The daughters looked up again, younger versions of their mother, posing for us in their skimpy robes. “You should try it here. It is the best!  Just think, you might meet someone” she said with a big smile. Her sister added, “You guys are really tall.” I muttered, “Yeah, you mentioned that.”

“Sir, please. Hurry! NOW!” “Right,” Yanni said. He clapped his hands and raised his voice: “Let’s GO. Come on, girls, please. These gentlemen are serious.”

No sooner were the words out of his mouth when pounding fists hammered the front door.  Dozens of angry, drunken voices were nearly as loud as the pounding. Yanni ran to the door. We followed at the ready as he looked through the peephole. “Come on, guys, they’re guests….wait, let me come out. Just back up a minute…”


He opened the door, stepped out, and pulled it closed behind him. We could hear him trying to reason with them. I hope his daughters didn’t hear what he said about them. It made me want to leave him behind and extract just the women, but we had our orders.

The obscenities only increased, and we knew Yanni himself was in danger. My partner yanked the door open and pulled Yanni inside. The slavering mob surged forward, intent on entering or dragging us out. I spoke a command that instantly rendered them weak, confused, and sightless.

We slammed and bolted the door and I shoved Yanni toward the back door that led to the alley. My partner got the women up from their chairs – ignoring their loud protestations – and pushed them after him.

We heard it before they did – a distant thrumming in the night sky which grew to a roar so loud Yanni and his family covered their ears. An orange light began to glow behind us as we pushed and pulled the family away from the city.

My partner spoke for the second time, yelling to be heard. “Whatever you do, don’t look back.”